Friday, January 28, 2011

Not so Invincible

It’s funny how things in life can creep up on you. You know how your mom always said “you’re not invincible!” (at least my mom always said that!)… somehow, I never really believed her. Sure, I thought I believed her. I honestly thought I was being careful. I always thought that I was taking enough precautions in my life. I studied hard, played harder, and thought “I’m a good person, so I’m good to go.”

Now I’m not all about spreading other peoples business, so I won’t go into detail… but recently I had two big eye openers. Two of my very close girlfriends are going thru life changing events, very different types of situations, one good & one bad, but life-changing none the less, and it has really made me think about my life, and what I would do in their situations.

To be honest, if I were in either of their situations, I don’t know what I would do. I guess I would pull myself together, and move on, or prepare (if you will)…but there are so many what-if’s. Maybe instead of thinking about what I would do, I ought to be more concerned with appreciating everything I have in my life, and simply be there for my friends when they need me.

This has been a very vague entry, and I apologize..but really my point is that sometimes it’s easy to get caught up in the day-to-day routines of life, and forget about what really matters. Matt has never missed a day of work in his life (other than when he had emergency surgery) me on the other hand, I love my free time and take advantage of it. Now don’t get me wrong, Matt has plenty of leisure time, and he is great at balancing personal life and work life… but a very smart man, probably the most influential man in my life, keeps telling me “there isn’t one person in this world, that on his death bed said, “ I should have spent more time at the office”” Again, it’s not about having poor work ethic ( I like to think I’m a great asset to my employer!) but it’s about realizing what’s really important in your life, and not letting that slip away. Trust me, you always have 5 minutes to make a phone call – tomorrow isn’t promised to anyone and bad things really do happen to good people.

0 comments: